How to download and install Apple's iOS 11 on iPhone, iPad and iPod
Apple has launched the new iOS 11 public beta 1 for testing and bug reporting by consumers. The availability of iOS 11 today implies that anyone can download it on their iPhone, iPod and iPad right away prior to the official release of the stable version soon.
The latest version of iOS brings a number of new features and improvements to Apple's devices, including a reorganized Control Center, peer-to-peer payments via Apple Pay, smarter Siri notifications, and Drag and Drop on iPad.
The transformed operating system will give more value to iPad owners by serving as a true replacement to their laptops with advanced multitasking feature.
The iOS 11 public beta release follows a developer preview, which was open to those enrolled in Apple's developer program only.
Before updating to the beta release, we recommend you back up your device first.
Note that although this version is more stable than the developer's preview released earlier, it'll more like contain bugs.
It's necessary to back-up your devices before installing the iOS 11 in case it leads to glitches, deleted data or other problems. Apple recommends backing up your data and files on iTunes and archiving it prior to downloading the iOS 11 public beta.
Apple recommends installing any beta software on a secondary device or system rather than your primary iOS device.
How to download iOS 11 public beta on iPhone
- Check for Compatibility: To download the iOS 11 public beta on your iPhone, check for compatibility first. iOS 11 works with iPhone 5S up through the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. iOS 11 is not compatible with iPhone 5 and below.
- Visit the Apple Beta Software Program website: beta.apple.com/profile on yout iPhone
- Sign in with your Apple ID. (If you don't have an Apple ID, you'll need to create one).
- Accept the Apple Beta Software Program Agreement by clicking Agree after logging in.
- Select 'Download profile'. (This is your configuration profile needed to install the beta software. You'll be prompted to install the profile).
- Choose 'Download and install' to receive the iOS 11 public beta update.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
For any future iOS software updates, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update and select 'Download and install'. iPhones running iOS 8.1.3 and up will automatically receive over the air (OTA) software updates.
How to download iOS 11 public beta on iPad
- To update your iPad to the iOS 11 beta release, you'll need to check for compatibility first.
- Check for compatibility: the beta software is compatible with all iPad Air and iPad Pro models, the iPad 5th generation, and iPad mini 2 and later.
- Follow the steps as with iPhone outlined above by visiting the Apple Beta Software Program website: beta.apple.com/profile on your iPad
- Remember to backup your iPad before you begin the iOS 11 public beta update download and installation.
How to download iOS 11 public beta on iPod
- To download on iPod, it has to be the iPod touch 6th generation to run the iOS 11 public beta.
- The process is same as iPhone on your iPod to download the iOS 11 public beta.
The full software release is expected alongside iPhone 8 launch in mid-September, you can decide to wait till then before upgrading to a full stable release.